[X4U] Run Classic OS Apps On Intel-Macs!

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed May 2 15:37:32 PDT 2007

Tim Collier wrote:
> I actually played around with this SheepShaver application on my Mac
> Pro and I'll be damned it I could get it to work.  If you REALLY need
> to run an OS 9 application just buy a used G3 or G3 iMac (that's what
> I did).  Far fewer headaches.  Sometimes these people come out this
> these "wonderful" programs that claim to do all kinds of wonderful
> things.....and then it turns out it's more trouble than it's worth.
> That is my assessment of SheepShaver.  More trouble than it's worth.
> For that matter, if your REALLY still need to run OS 9 applications,
> why would anybody in their right mind buy an Intel Mac KNOWING that
> it won't run it?  It just doesn't make any sense.

I own a PowerBook 540c, an 8500/180, and a G4/450 in addition to my G5 2x2,
so a machine to run my classic applications isn't the problem.  The problem
is the space to set one up, the power to run (and cool) it, and the time to
switch between it and my primary system (the G5).

While I have one application that I consider a "Must Have", I also have
several others such as the original "Master of Orion" and "Warlords 2"
games, that are really nice to have around.  I'm hoping that once I have
SheepShaver running System 7, I can finally play "Warlords 2" again.

As for the "Must Have", well, since I've finally moved from 10.3.9, to
10.4.9, as soon as I can find the time I'll take another look at moving off
of it.  For those that don't know, or remember, my "Must Have" app is
ClarisDraw, and it was one of the main reasons I bought my first Mac.  A few
months ago I tried a lot of apps people suggested without finding one that I
consider to be a good replacement, there were a couple I wanted to try, but
couldn't as they required 10.4.x.

		Zane