[X4U] OS X On Generic PC Hardware

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Nov 16 09:02:42 PST 2007

At 1:56 PM +0000 11/16/07, Stroller wrote:
>On 16 Nov 2007, at 04:58, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>Since the $2,500 Mac Pro has two dual-core 2.66Ghz Xeon processors
>>and can take 16Gb RAM, while this 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4Gb, you
>>are right.
>
>If I recall the article the author fitted 4x 512meg of RAM,
>presumably because it was cheap. I doubt if it'd be much more
>expensive to fit 2x gig, and the motherboard would surely take 4x
>2gig.

Wow, it actually will take 8Gb RAM (he is at 4Gb, 4x1Gb), I'm a bit
surprised there.  I wish Apple would make a "mid-range" desktop with
this chipset!  Something for those of us that want more drives and
RAM, but not the full price of a Mac Pro.  Realistically the system
this guy built will do everything I need with more RAM, though I'd
use a better CPU.

>>Though it's more like the low-end Mac Book Pro thanks to the graphics.
>
>I was given to believe the graphics card in this hackintosh was the
>same as in the low-end MacPro.

I believe it is, but otherwise it is closer to the Mac Book's and Mac
Book Pro's.  Still system RAM will effect all performance, and
therefore his benchmarks are unfair.  I'd be interested in seeing
benchmarks with a faster Core 2 Duo (especially Quad Core), and the
same amount of RAM between the system and the Mac Pro.  The Mac Pro
in the benchmarks only has 1Gb, so is seriously crippled.

Zane