[X4U] OS X On Generic PC Hardware

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Fri Nov 16 09:07:35 PST 2007

---- "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:
> At 1:56 PM +0000 11/16/07, Stroller wrote:
> >On 16 Nov 2007, at 04:58, Zane H. Healy wrote:
> >>Since the $2,500 Mac Pro has two dual-core 2.66Ghz Xeon processors
> >>and can take 16Gb RAM, while this 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4Gb, you
> >>are right.
> >
> >If I recall the article the author fitted 4x 512meg of RAM,
> >presumably because it was cheap. I doubt if it'd be much more
> >expensive to fit 2x gig, and the motherboard would surely take 4x
> >2gig.
>
> Wow, it actually will take 8Gb RAM (he is at 4Gb, 4x1Gb), I'm a bit
> surprised there.  I wish Apple would make a "mid-range" desktop with
> this chipset!  Something for those of us that want more drives and
> RAM, but not the full price of a Mac Pro.  Realistically the system
> this guy built will do everything I need with more RAM, though I'd
> use a better CPU.
>
> >>Though it's more like the low-end Mac Book Pro thanks to the graphics.
> >
> >I was given to believe the graphics card in this hackintosh was the
> >same as in the low-end MacPro.
>
> I believe it is, but otherwise it is closer to the Mac Book's and Mac
> Book Pro's.  Still system RAM will effect all performance, and
> therefore his benchmarks are unfair.  I'd be interested in seeing
> benchmarks with a faster Core 2 Duo (especially Quad Core), and the
> same amount of RAM between the system and the Mac Pro.  The Mac Pro
> in the benchmarks only has 1Gb, so is seriously crippled.

I don't have the original link, but could another factor in the price differential be the use of Xeons in the Mac Pro and standard Core 2 Duo's in the generic?

This would affect the price of the motherboard and the processors.

Any have an idea how much the price differential would be if the exact same level of hardware was used?

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net