[X4U] OS X On Generic PC Hardware

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Fri Nov 16 09:18:38 PST 2007

---- Nick Scalise <nickscalise at cox.net> wrote:
> ---- "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >If I recall the article the author fitted 4x 512meg of RAM,
> > >presumably because it was cheap. I doubt if it'd be much more
> > >expensive to fit 2x gig, and the motherboard would surely take 4x
> > >2gig.
> >
> > Wow, it actually will take 8Gb RAM (he is at 4Gb, 4x1Gb), I'm a bit
> > surprised there.  I wish Apple would make a "mid-range" desktop with
> > this chipset!  Something for those of us that want more drives and
> > RAM, but not the full price of a Mac Pro.  Realistically the system
> > this guy built will do everything I need with more RAM, though I'd
> > use a better CPU.

> > >I was given to believe the graphics card in this hackintosh was the
> > >same as in the low-end MacPro.
> >
> > I believe it is, but otherwise it is closer to the Mac Book's and Mac
> > Book Pro's.  Still system RAM will effect all performance, and
> > therefore his benchmarks are unfair.  I'd be interested in seeing
> > benchmarks with a faster Core 2 Duo (especially Quad Core), and the
> > same amount of RAM between the system and the Mac Pro.  The Mac Pro
> > in the benchmarks only has 1Gb, so is seriously crippled.
>
> I don't have the original link, but could another factor in the price differential be the use of Xeons in the Mac Pro and standard Core 2 Duo's in the generic?
>
> This would affect the price of the motherboard and the processors.
>
> Any have an idea how much the price differential would be if the exact same level of hardware was used?

For example, Apple, I think is using the Intel Xeon 5150 Woodcrest 2.66GHz 4M

<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117089>

This lists for $750, and there would be two of them in the Mac Pro.

The Core 2 Duo that the hacker bought only cost $130

So, take $800 for the hacker box subtract $130 for the lowend proc and the tack on $1500 for the high end Xeons

$2170

Not counting the different high end dual slot Motherboard.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net