[X4U] OS X On Generic PC Hardware

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Nov 16 11:58:18 PST 2007

At 12:18 PM -0500 11/16/07, Nick Scalise wrote:
>For example, Apple, I think is using the Intel Xeon 5150 Woodcrest 2.66GHz 4M
>
><http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117089>
>
>This lists for $750, and there would be two of them in the Mac Pro.

Apple gets a volume discount of some sort since they are a
manufacturer, I've no idea how much.  So that will make figuring out
such things a bit more difficult.

>The Core 2 Duo that the hacker bought only cost $130
>
>So, take $800 for the hacker box subtract $130 for the lowend proc
>and the tack on $1500 for the high end Xeons
>
>$2170
>
>Not counting the different high end dual slot Motherboard.

Based on looking at Slot 1 Motherboards a few years back, you can
probably figure in excess of $500 for the motherboard.  Also keep in
mind that Dual CPU Xeon motherboards are less common than they were
prior to the Dual Core chips being released.

A year ago I was pricing out 17" Mac Book Pro's and similar PC
laptops for a couple people.  The cheapest comparable system was from
Dell, and I believe it worked out to be $300 more.

In taking a quick look at the HP and Dell websites, I didn't see any
dual CPU Xeon workstations, however, *just* the dual core 2.66Ghz
Xeon systems were more expensive.

That Mac's are more expensive on anything other than the low end is
fast becoming untrue.

Zane