[X4U] RAM counsel

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Fri Nov 23 05:59:22 PST 2007

At 7:27 PM -0600, 11/22/07, Linda wrote:

>On 11/22/07 3:30 PM, Robert Ameeti wrote:
>
>>  Ain't true. I've sent in plenty of computers for problems and Apple
>>  has never balked at the non-Apple RAM.
>
>My experience is opposite. When I had trouble with a Dual 800 G4, that had
>no original RAM in it, AppleCare phone support was loath to escalate the
>issue for resolution until I had removed the third-party RAM and replaced it
>with the original Apple-branded RAM.

That is different. I said "I've sent in ...". You said "AppleCare
phone support ..."

>When the  hard disk in my PowerBook G4 died two years ago, same
>thing -- before authorizing its return for repair ore replacement, I
>needed to replace the original RAM to ensure that the RAM
>wasn't causing the problem -- again, this was an AppleCare
>representative under the extended warranty.

You did not need to. They asked you to. If you had sent it in with
the 3rd party RAM, it would not have been a problem (unless the RAM
was bad.) Most people only have what they have. Most people couldn't
replace the 3rd party with the original and AppleCare is still in
effect. They are just trying to minimize the occurrence of good units
being sent in with bad RAM. Been there, done that, too many times to
explain.
--

Robert Ameeti

Marriage is a great institution, but I'm not ready for an institution yet.
            -- Mae West