[X4U] USB 1.2 and 2.0

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Nov 24 22:06:48 PST 2007

On Nov 24, 2007, at 5:50 PM, Carol Weber Mckee wrote:

> I have USB 1.2   If I buy a USB 2.0 portable storage device, will
> it work?
> I have a 700 MHz eMac running OSX 10.3.9.

It will work, but it will be slow.

What sort of "portable storage device" are we talking about?

If you are talking about a flash drive (also known as a pen drive) it
will work fine, if you are patient.  I transfer files to and from my
old G3 via flash drive all the time.  The speed is acceptable since
the pen drive is only 1GB and I don't transfer huge files.

If you are talking about a portable hard drive, then what you want is
one that connects via Firewire.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html