Subject: [X4U] USB 1.2 and 2.0

Ray Choiniere rfcee at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 27 10:25:31 PST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007, at 7:39 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> This does bring up an interesting subject for discussion.
>
> How many folks on this list are backing up to a flash drive?

Not I. Flash drive is way too small.

> How many folks are either using, or looking forward to using Time
> Machine under Leopard?

I imagine it will be useful (I'm not on Leopard yet), but let's face
it: in the long run a bootable backup is the only sensible way to go.
(At least until they learn to  make utterly non-breakable hard drives.)

> How many folks are creating a clone as their backup?

Yep; as above, using SuperDuper.

> Who is using a combination of the above?

I use an external hard drive for backups, and a flash drive for
transferring the latest versions of individual documents to my laptop
or to other Macs.

> Anyone care to share their experience with a failed hard drive?

I've been using Macs since 1984 and so far have been lucky enough to
experience only one "total loss" hard drive experience. Various other
glitches have occurred, some pretty painful, but all in all not a bad
24 years of Mac-ing.

Ray