[X4U] handbrake and ripping dvds

Pete Zimowski petez at mac.com
Sat Aug 2 13:26:09 PDT 2008

> i make copies of dvds that i own so that i can watch them on the
> road on my macbook pro, without taking the dvds themselves,
> obviously. i use handbrake to do this, with my custom settings so as
> to have a relatively high quality copy (1.5gb for an average movie,
> in mp4 format)
>
> now that i have an iphone, i'd also like to have "lighter" versions
> of these movies. how can i go about this without re-ripping at a
> lower bitrate (which is what i'm doing now)?

I'm doing something similar for archiving and viewing on Apple TV -
ripping with Handbrake (2500 bit rate, two-pass, h-264) and putting
them into iTunes to place onto Apple TV .  When I want to put the
ripped movies on my iPhone or iPod, I select the movie in iTunes, then
choose "Convert Selection for iPod/iPhone" from the "Advanced" menu.

It does take several minutes to do the conversion (definitely less
than doing a second convert with Handbrake), and I do have the same
movie (albeit in different resolutions) stored twice, but it does the
trick.

I'm interested if there's any other way to do it myself.

Pete