[X4U] Pros and Cons of Time Capsule?

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.com
Wed Dec 3 19:03:43 PST 2008

On Dec 3, 2008, at 8:02 PM, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

> It's time to replace my aging 80Gb USB1 and 60Gb Firewire backup
> drives with something a bit bigger, say a 1Tb drive. Right now my
> backups consist of dragging important files to the USB and FW drives
> and using Backup along with my iDisk for my personal data and
> settings. I'd like to automate the backup process using something
> like Time Machine. I like the fact that  Time Capsule is from Apple
> but is it really worth looking at or am I better off purchasing
> another brand of drive? Right now I'm backing up the 250Gb HD on my
> iMac but I'm looking into getting a MacBook for my wife that would
> need to be backed up as well. What are the pros and cons of Time
> Capsule?
>
> Mark Des Cotes
> Owner-Graphic Designer
> Marksman Design
>
> Mailing address:
> 7-841 Sydney Street, Suite # 338
> Cornwall, Ontario  K6H 7L2
> Canada
> 613-936-6876

Mark: time capsule is great and has saved my wife's bacon on several
occasions. Couple of thoughts, based on our experience to date.

Ideally, you need a drive that is several times as large as the main
drive you are backing up. Otherwise, Time Capsule will eventually run
out of space and will start deleting the oldest files (first in, first
out).

Second, if you really want to be safe, you should have a clone of your
main drive, as a complete backup. Depending on the options, the Time
Capsule backup will not save everything. A clone will get you up and
running quickly should your main drive fail.

Third, if you have files on a second internal or external drive, they
would not normally get backed up by Time Capsule. I have my iTunes
Library on an external drive and my wife has several external drives
with photos on them. For these, you would need clones.

Finally, for reasons unknown, Time Capsule will sometimes fail to
complete a backup. When I see it happen, I immediately do a Back Up
Now and things seem to be OK. Not sure why, but it does make me wonder
how reliable the system is.

If you bought a MAcBook, a 1 TB external hard drive would be ideal.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
J-K Carruthers Limited          Tel: 613-278-0390
678 2nd Concession N. Sherbrooke, RR1   Fax: 613-278-2929
McDonalds Corners, ON K0G 1M0      cell: 613-720-2350
www.carruthers.com                          e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com
Publishing Orders in Council for more than 25 years