[X4U] Hard drive space

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Fri Jan 25 15:45:34 PST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008, at 18:37, Christopher Collins wrote:

> Good idea Neil.
>
> The problem is tho that the space comes back as soon as he reboot.
> That makes it "unlikely" it would be the log files. Why would they
> decrease just because he rebooted?
>
> I Would have thought virtual memory is much more likely, that is the
> area I would have searched in the pc world. And I don 't claim to be
> any expert so I'm always looking to learn.
>
> But you are right, the first thing to do is identify what file is
> growing and then work from there.
>
> I must admit from many years in many operating systems that I don't
> like installing major upgrades over older operating systems (10.5
> over 10.4). But that is what we have to work with so lets deal with
> it.
>
> Find the file (files) that keep getting bigger and then we can go
> from there.

Yeah . . .guess the log files wouldn't go away for a reboot . . . but
on the other hand I've never seen VM swap files grow to the point
where the drive is full . . . which is his eventual issue . . . and
you're right, swap files are pretty much the only things that get
bigger then go away after reboot. Doesn't seem like VM would get that
large; but it certainly could be.

Best order of business is to find out where the space is going first.
Once that's known . . . looking for why is easier once you know the
what.