[X4U] End of the line for PPC support from Apple

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 15 22:25:29 PDT 2008

On Jun 15, 2008, at 6:27 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

>> On 6/15/08 6:20 AM, Tim Collier wrote:
>>
>>>  I'm certain that there are very few people in the world who have
>>> not used a
>>>  cell phone (well, let's say in North America and Europe).
>>
>> My husband and I don't have cell phones. My parents in law don't
>> own any,
>> nor do my parents. I have four friends who do not own cell phones
>> and are
>> not in a significant relationship with someone who owns a cell phone,
>> either.
>>
>> Just anecdotal, but true. :)
>
> I'm sure it will change. Our entire family got on cell phones, on
> the same Sprint account, when my father was moved to an assisted
> living facility, with a terrible form of Parkinson's disease. The
> family is very dispersed across the country. Our all being on the
> same network meant that we were all in very constant contact, and
> it meant that we were all able to gather there a week before he
> died, and again a few hours before he died. And now we are all able
> to be in touch with my mother soon to pass 86.
>
> That is our particular situation. But for us, it has been a huge
> comfort to have each other a "click away" during this phase of life.
>
> Besides dramatic stuff like that, it's very enjoyable for my
> husband to call after work and say he's at  a certain store and is
> there anything I need him to get.
>
> Or for me to call from my car to tell a client and say I will be
> ten minutes late because of unexpected traffic.
>
> Or to lose my friend or husband at a fair or big event and say,
> "I'm by the Apple booth - where are you?"
>
> And on and on and on. We don't even use the calendar and internet
> and those types of features. Just having connectivity is very very
> nice. The big thing is having the whole family on the same account.
> It makes it very inexpensive and we can call each other any time,
> at no charge, anywhere in this country, in Canada, and a few other
> places.
>
> Ours is anecdotal, and very usual, and also true. Unless, you are
> counting pennies every month, I think it's worth considering, to
> have a family account, even if a very basic one. All of us are
> aware of the limited minutes we buy for our shared account and we
> are careful to mainly only call each other or other people on
> Sprint during peak hours. So we pay very little, but get very much
> security and enjoyment.

Daly:

You have some valid points. Indeed I was put in a nursing home that
did not have telephones. I found it to be a PITA, honestly. The only
"good" that came out of it was that I found out that cell phones
(even with instruction books) are difficult to use. I don't know how
many times I tried calling people  and ended up not getting them. Was
it worth it so friends could call me up? No as I was never able to
get to the phone fast enough to answer the damn thing and it went to
voice mail. I still have that issue to this days 4 years later.
Trying to access VM is (at least on my phone) is difficult to do so I
don't try. For all I know I may have 100 VM's waiting for me.  Again
my complaint is usability.  I have had two different phones and every
time the people at the phone store say any idiot can do it. Sorry
that is NOT true.

What good is it in an emergency if the cell phone is so complicated
that by the time you are able to dial out the person has robbed you.
For *SOME* people it may make sense but if you have any sort of
disability its essentially useless.

Ed