[X4U] End of the line for PPC support from Apple

Tim Collier tim_collier at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 16 04:40:59 PDT 2008

> Daly:
>
> You have some valid points. Indeed I was put in a nursing home that
> did not have telephones. I found it to be a PITA, honestly. The only
> "good" that came out of it was that I found out that cell phones
> (even with instruction books) are difficult to use. I don't know how
> many times I tried calling people  and ended up not getting them. Was
> it worth it so friends could call me up? No as I was never able to
> get to the phone fast enough to answer the damn thing and it went to
> voice mail. I still have that issue to this days 4 years later.
> Trying to access VM is (at least on my phone) is difficult to do so I
> don't try. For all I know I may have 100 VM's waiting for me.  Again
> my complaint is usability.  I have had two different phones and every
> time the people at the phone store say any idiot can do it. Sorry
> that is NOT true.
>
> What good is it in an emergency if the cell phone is so complicated
> that by the time you are able to dial out the person has robbed you.
> For *SOME* people it may make sense but if you have any sort of
> disability its essentially useless.
>
> Ed
Ah, Ed, you have just illustrated the beauty of the iPhone.  Right out of
the box, it is a familiar thing.  If you've used an iPod, it's exactly the
same.  You activate it in iTunes by choosing your plan with AT&T and you're
done.  At the same time, you can upload your music, pictures, contacts, etc.
Even if the call goes to voice mail (sometimes I leave the phone at the
other end of the house), it is very easy to retrieve the v-mail and even
return the missed call.  I've never had to use the manual (can't say the
same for previous phones).  Everything is very intuitive.  After all it's
running OS X!
I've also traveled all over Europe with it and get the same service and
features.  There is the cell phone and then there is the iPhone.  They are
miles apart.
And I also wanted to add a message to those anti-cell phone people who have
chosen to contact me personally:  If you want to continue to live in the
past (this reminds me of people who chose to stick with their typewriter
instead of opting for a computer with a word processor or those who are
still opting to hold on to their analog TV's and avoid an HDTV (you're in
for an unpleasant surprise next February)) that's all well and good if it
works for you.  I do have to point out that you are isolating yourself from
a great number of people who cannot call you if you're not at home.  God
forbid there should be an emergency while on the highway (are you going to
drag yourself home to call for help?) or you see a fabulous sale and would
like to let your friends know about it (you go home, call them and by the
time they get there everything is gone) or lastly you are in a business
where decisions need to be made instantaneously but you're at the park
enjoying the sunshine, you miss the call at home--it was super-critical--you
show up at work the following day to see your business closing and everybody
looking at you with an evil stare.  These examples just go to illustrate
that the cell phone is an integral part of our lives in the early part of
the 21st Century.  If you are a hermit or work out of your house or are
agoraphobic, technophobic (well then you wouldn't be using a computer), I
guess I can understand; otherwise I and the rest of the civilized world
simply can't understand your reluctance.

--
Tim Collier
MacBook 2.2 gig 2 gig RAM