[X4U] End of the line for PPC support from Apple

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 16 10:42:38 PDT 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, at 6:40 AM, Tim Collier wrote:
>> ---------------------SNIP----------------------------
> Ah, Ed, you have just illustrated the beauty of the iPhone.  Right
> out of
> the box, it is a familiar thing.  If you've used an iPod, it's
> exactly the
> same.  You activate it in iTunes by choosing your plan with AT&T
> and you're
> done.  At the same time, you can upload your music, pictures,
> contacts, etc.
> Even if the call goes to voice mail (sometimes I leave the phone at
> the
> other end of the house), it is very easy to retrieve the v-mail and
> even
> return the missed call.  I've never had to use the manual (can't
> say the
> same for previous phones).  Everything is very intuitive.  After
> all it's
> running OS X!
> I've also traveled all over Europe with it and get the same service
> and
> features.  There is the cell phone and then there is the iPhone.
> They are
> miles apart.
> And I also wanted to add a message to those anti-cell phone people
> who have
> chosen to contact me personally:  If you want to continue to live
> in the
> past (this reminds me of people who chose to stick with their
> typewriter
> instead of opting for a computer with a word processor or those who
> are
> still opting to hold on to their analog TV's and avoid an HDTV
> (you're in
> for an unpleasant surprise next February)) that's all well and good
> if it
> works for you.  I do have to point out that you are isolating
> yourself from
> a great number of people who cannot call you if you're not at
> home.  God
> forbid there should be an emergency while on the highway (are you
> going to
> drag yourself home to call for help?) or you see a fabulous sale
> and would
> like to let your friends know about it (you go home, call them and
> by the
> time they get there everything is gone) or lastly you are in a
> business
> where decisions need to be made instantaneously but you're at the park
> enjoying the sunshine, you miss the call at home--it was super-
> critical--you
> show up at work the following day to see your business closing and
> everybody
> looking at you with an evil stare.  These examples just go to
> illustrate
> that the cell phone is an integral part of our lives in the early
> part of
> the 21st Century.  If you are a hermit or work out of your house or
> [...]

I hate to be the bearer of news but I had a small IPOD (sorry don't
remember what model) but I don't have a clue on how to use it. I
tried to figure it out and gave up. I ended up giving it away to a
friend who helped me buy my G5 as a thank you gift. But IIRC
(questionable here) it did not come with instructions (bought
directly from Apple) I gave up trying to even turn it on. (no on/off
switch) . At least he is happy with it.

Ed