[X4U] Hard Drive Recovery Service Needed

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat Jun 21 03:17:21 PDT 2008

On 20 Jun, 2008, at 11:54 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> But recent experience leads me to believe that they are just too
> full of themselves now.  They will charge you a fortune, and they
> will likely refuse to recover any applications at all, only files,
> and only the types of files that you both agree on.

Randy,

Aren't you being a bit rough on DriveSavers without presenting facts
to us? You have made a statement that lacks proof and is a supposition
on your part. How do you know for a fact that they will do as you
describe? Has it actually happened to you or a person you know
personally?

I have a close friend who used their services to recover data for the
Butte County Search and Rescue team and DriveSavers did an excellent
job for them. The entire "lost" drive contents were recovered quickly
and returned to the team on a replacement drive. Their cost was
reasonable, also, for the work done.

I do admit that I do not know exactly how much effort DriveSavers had
to put out to recover the data. It might have been as easy as just
rebuilding the directory information. Of course, it might also have
been a "tear apart, rebuild, and recover" job. They never did tell how
much work it took, just did the job and gave back what was thought to
be totally lost.

Perhaps you have done them a disservice?