[X4U] hp 4600c scanjet scanner with Tiger Intel machine

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Tue Mar 4 20:16:34 PST 2008

On 3/4/08 8:21 PM, " Cheryl Homiak " <chomiak7737 at att.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to help somebody set up an hp 4600c scanjet scanner (apparently may
> be a scanner/printer); I'm doing it by phone and email so am not seeing the
> person's equipment but she is using an Intel macbook running Tiger. we were
> able to find the hp driver for the scanner. However, this scanner apparently
> uses a parallel connection so a usb-parallel cable must be used. Does anybody
> know whether this scanner will work with a usb-parallel cable on the mac and
> if so, is a driver needed for the cable. My only experience is with usb-serial
> cables, and these do need drivers. Also, I was not able to establish whether
> or not the hp driver was ppc only or works with intel though it at least
> appeared to install successfully.

You can download the ScanJet 4600 series manual here:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bps05909.pdf

The 4600s are obsolete USB 2.0 scanners dating back to 2003, although HP
does supply Tiger-compatible software. There were, of course, no Intel Macs
to write software for in 2003.

I don't see anything about parallel connectors in the documentation.

The first thing I would ask your correspondent is whether they have the
power brick.  No laptop is going to provide enough power to operate a
scanner.  This gadget uses a y-connector to inject power into the USB cable.
The brick is shown in the manual, although HP does not bother to describe it
in the documentation, or tell you what to do with it.