[X4U] BlackBerry & Mac?

Joe Sporleder joe at wacondatrader.com
Tue Apr 14 03:20:18 PDT 2009

Anyone on this list use a BlackBerry? How do you like it? How well
does it interface with your Mac? I'd love an iPhone, but
unfortunately, I live in a rural area where Alltel (soon to be Verizon
this Summer) is the only decent option (and obviously a different
network than AT&T, Apple's current iPhone partner hear in the US). I
am aware of Missing Sync for BlackBerry that allows syncing of
calendars, contacts, etc, with Mac. How about tethering? I am able to
tether my current RAZR2 via bluetooth to my Mac, costs me an extra $25/
mo, unlimited data. However, the RAZR2 has some issues that I will
either need to get repaired under my insurance, or upgrade to a
different phone. I'm hoping that in the future (2-5 years?) that when
AT&T & Verizon are both on a 4G network that Apple will be able to
make an iPhone that'll work with either carrier.

Anyways, I'm running an older MacBook Pro and MacOS X 10.5.6 and am
thinking that I might go the BlackBerry route for a few years until
the iPhone is available here. The things I'm interested in of the
BlackBerry is the GPS maps (I do a lot of bike riding on rural roads),
syncing at least contacts with my Mac, and being able to tether to my
Mac as a broadband modem, and of course, a fairly decent cell phone.

Joe