[X4U] BlackBerry & Mac?

Jim Colgate ColgateList at cox.net
Tue Apr 14 16:20:24 PDT 2009

Hi Joe,

I recently switched from a Palm Treo 650 to a Blackberry under Sprint. In
general I love to hate my blackberry or is that I hate to love my
blackberry. Specifically it gave me navigation that works most of the time
and a better integration of audio book player and phone. However the third
party applications are more numerous and better for the Palm.

I considered the iPhone, but being held hostage by AT&T at a much higher
price did not set well. I know I am being held hostage by blackberry (RIM)
but at least it is at a lower cost. Also, voice dialing and navigation is
poorly implemented in the 3rd party Apps for the iPhone; IMHO.

You can get PocketMac for Blackberry for free which does an acceptable job
of syncing the Blackberry with your Mac. I also just acquired Missing Sync
for Blackberry which is also acceptable. They are slightly different so it
is a matter of personal choice.

I have not tried tethering, but from what I read it works and at no
additional cost. There could be some carrier dependency there.

Overall the Blackberry is as good or better than any other smart phone for
us Mac users. The iPhone has some better capabilities, but I'm not convinced
that they are worth the extra cost.

My two cents worth,

   Jim