[X4U] Mac Mini Question

Rod Buchanan lists at sofstats.com
Fri Apr 24 05:39:15 PDT 2009

On Apr 23, 2009, at 10:44 PM, Ronald Steinke wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2009, at 4:34 PM, Rod Buchanan wrote:
>
>> so I  will be getting it from Apple with memory installed.  Since I
>> can turn MySQL/Apache on/off as needed, I'm thinking that 2GB will
>> be plenty.
>
> For the purposes you listed, 2Gb will be enough. If you intend to
> start doing more with graphics files, you should consider upgrading
> the RAM.
>
> BUT ..... Don't buy it from Apple!!!!!! The price from Apple is more
> than 5 times what you would pay to any of the internet RAM vendors.
> Take a look at Crucial or DataMem or OWC for good prices.

I should rephrase one thing from my original post -- I should have
said web hosting for local development.

I plan on running this headless, so graphics will not be an issue.  I
have a Mac Pro for the heavy lifting.

I've bought plenty of memory from Crucial and OWC/MacSales over the
years, and installed it myself -- going back to a 1st-gen IBM PC.
Like I said, I have no desire to crack this open.  Besides, I'm well
enough off to afford the $10 "Apple Tax" -- $50 from Apple vs $34 + S/
H from Crucial.  If I need 4GB I may rethink that, but I pretty sure
2GB will suffice.

--
Rod

The opposite of pro is con.