[X4U] Remote Access to Mobile Laptop - Any Solution

Rick Gordon rick at rickgordon.com
Wed Feb 4 03:17:55 PST 2009

Comments inline.

------------------

On 2/4/09 at 6:08 AM -0500, Neil Laubenthal wrote in a message entitled
"Re: [X4U] Remote Access to Mobile Laptop - Any Solution":

>I can think of a couple easy options . . . although I'm sure with more thought there are likely more.
>
>TimbuktuPro - you can set the laptop to register itself with the Timbuktu server when it comes online and it will show up on the World List (I think that's what it's called) in the Timbuktu Pro console. This works fine but I think it might have needed an outgoing port opened.

Yes, I can get the WAN IP number that the laptop is running on, but without a standard or alternate Timbuktu port opened on the router, I can't get the the machine, right?

>LogMeIn - If you install LogMein (www.logmein.com) on the laptop it will login to their server via port 443 (which is always open on a NAT router unless it was specifically closed which will break https). LogMein is cool . . . it establishes a three way VPN between the browser on your support machine and the client. It ranges from free to a few bucks a month depending on which features you need/want.

My understanding is that LogMeIn remote would do it (at $129/month), assuming that the administrative computer is running Windoze. (The client computer can be a Mac.)

>BacktoMyMac is also a possibility; but this is trickier since you need a PnP capability in the NAT router.

I haven't check BackToMyMac out yet.

>On Feb 4, 2009, at 04:52, Rick Gordon wrote:
>
>>I would like to find a way to access a laptop (for support purposes) which will be mobile and connecting from different Internet cafés or other locations where the preconfiguration of a NAT router to a known local IP number is not possible.
>>
>>The laptop has dynamic IP software installed, so it will phone home with the current WAN IP number with which it would be connected to at any given time. But how, with Timbuktu, Apple Remote Access, VNC, GoToMyPC, or whatever, might I be able to access it behind a NAT router (what I assume to be the most likely scenario) which won't have any port forwarding set up, and with which we will have no administrative control?

RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING