[X4U] MAIL APP Question

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 10 15:49:18 PDT 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 5:25 PM, Linda wrote:

> On 3/10/09 5:04 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
>
>> Sigh... I have COMCAST as my ISP and it seems that COMCASTS mail
>> server is down more than almost any other ISP's server I have run
>> into.
>> Since Tech Support is useless (especially for MAC users) does anyone
>> have some debugging tips so that the delay on the phone is minimized?
>> I usually get a prompt for the mail password that indicated it is
>> down. Does Apple need to put better diagnostics in or is the MAIL app
>> terminally dumb?(should I request APPLE to giver better diagnostics
>> OR is this an Apple versus COMCAST disagreement on how SMTP works?
>
> Sometimes a simple Quit and relaunch of Mail.app will clear out those
> cobwebs (in other words, Comcast may not be down -- Mail.app may
> simply be
> confused).
>
> Other times, a restart of the computer clears out any Network
> cobwebs and
> Mail.app's abilities are magically restored.
>
> Are you trying any of these solutions?

Linda:

Yes and no. Sometime it does and sometimes not. That is what is so
irritating with this issue.

Example hit this afternoon when MAIL asked me for the password to my
comcast account. I canceled the request and then MAIL tried again and
asked the same thing. I went online a few times as it put comcast
offline and then I could send mail but not receive mail. After about
15 minutes of retrying it started working "magically" Other times
stopping and starting mail at times seems to work.

Ed