[X4U] SuperDupper question

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sun Mar 29 07:59:05 PDT 2009

On 3/25/09 3:34 PM, "Neil Laubenthal" <neil at laubenthal.net> wrote:

> I own SD . . .and also own and use SynchronizePro X. The latter is
> just as easy to use as SD for a full disk clone . . .and is vastly
> simpler to setup for either a network backup or a less than full disk
> backup. It still doesn't offer versioning or off site
> capabilities . . . so in my view it again is inadequate by itself.

That paragraph tweaked my interest. I use Synchronize! Pro X to keep the
"stuff" in my user account in synch between my laptop and my desktop Macs. I
also use Time Machine, but I exclude from Time Machine gargantuan files such
as virtual machines and my Office 2008 Main User Identity.

I've fallen victim MULTIPLE times over the past year to Seagate's problems
with firmware on their Barracuda 7200.11 drives, and I've lost data as a
result. I think THEY and I have resolved that issue, but in part because of
those problems I now have all 4 drive bays in my Mac Pro filled.

Having read this thread, I downloaded and used SuperDuper! to create a
bootable clone on one of those "extra" internal drives. I see that I cannot
schedule cloning without paying the license fee.

Having considered Synchronize! Pro X a single-purpose application because it
works so well for my main use of it, I never considered that it could fill
my need for creating bootable clones. My question is, can it do both?
Specifically, I'm wondering whether one can SCHEDULE cloning to occur at
times I wouldn't likely be doing my desktop <-> laptop synchronization, then
just leave that file open or create a script to launch it at the appropriate
times? Can it wipe the target volume before creating the clone, as
SuperDuper! does? I just played with the preferences a bit, and it appears
that Synchronize! Pro X doesn't like having more than one file open at a
time (probably for obvious reasons).

Any comments?

Thanks so much,

Jim Robertson