[X4U] SuperDupper question

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Sun Mar 29 08:47:03 PDT 2009

On Mar 29, 2009, at 10:59 AM, Jim Robertson wrote:

> Having considered Synchronize! Pro X a single-purpose application
> because it
> works so well for my main use of it, I never considered that it
> could fill
> my need for creating bootable clones. My question is, can it do both?
> Specifically, I'm wondering whether one can SCHEDULE cloning to
> occur at
> times I wouldn't likely be doing my desktop <-> laptop
> synchronization, then
> just leave that file open or create a script to launch it at the
> appropriate
> times? Can it wipe the target volume before creating the clone, as
> SuperDuper! does? I just played with the preferences a bit, and it
> appears
> that Synchronize! Pro X doesn't like having more than one file open
> at a
> time (probably for obvious reasons).

Synchronize Pro lets you schedule multiple backups of various
types . . .and they can be set to run in sequence so that you only
need to actually schedule the first one . . .that way you don't have
to worry about time for backup as the first job runs the second when
the first one completes.

I don't see any reason you couldn't schedule both clones and
computer<-->computer syncs at differing times . . .it's not entirely
clear how your setup works . . .and you may need 2 licenses for
Synchronize Pro (one for the laptop and one for the desktop) depending
on which one (or both) you want to clone and which one (or both) you
want to drive the synchronization.

I'm not sure I understand your question about keeping documents
open . . . once you enable AutoSync in the prefs the background app
runs and neither Synchronize Pro or the document needs to be open.
AutoSync launches the app at the appropriate time and depending on how
the various options for wake up, auto-connect, start, completion, etc
are set it does it's thing and then launches another settings document
or quits or remains running as you've set.

What I'm thinking you intend to do is . . . have a setting file on
your laptop (or your desktop) that syncs either automatically at time
x or manually when you double click it . . this setting file syncs the
user folders on the laptop and desktop. Then . . .separately . . . you
want to have another settings file that clones the laptop (or maybe
the desktop) to a second drive.

Both of these are easily do-able . . .and you don't have to worry
about having the app running or settings file opens. From your
description . . .it sounds like you want a sync of the user folders on
demand . . . and an auto clone of the desktop drive at some other time.

If my supposition is correct . . . install Synchronize on the desktop
and create the settings file to do the sync. Set this for no auto-run
but to automatically sync and quit on launch. Set up the laptop to
share the correct directory so that the desktop can connect . . .set
the settings file on the desktop to autoconnect and auto disconnect
the share when complete. Double click the settings file when
desired . . . app launches on desktop, laptop drive share is connected
to, sync is done, laptop drive share disconnected, and app quits.

Set up a second settings file with auto run to do the clone and
schedule it for 3AM or something like that . . .again setting it for
automatic run on document launch and exit app when done.

I don't see a way to have the clone erase the drive first . . .but
then that's mostly not necessary anyway for your clone and an
incremental clone is good enough most of the time.

Having multiple settings files open simultaeously is a no-no . . .but
AutoSync gets around that just fine . . . the only time the individual
settings files are open is when you're working on setting them up or
while they're running.

> I have a Time Machine backup. I'm trying to decide which cloning
> tool to
> use. Let's say that my Boot drive fails, and that after I switch
> over to my
> clone of that drive, I discover that I'd inadvertently done
> something akin
> to the woman who tossed the record from a key database, sometime
> BEFORE
> creating the most recent clone. That file exists in my Time Machine
> Backup
> (I assume). Can I find that file in my Time Machine backup of my
> original
> boot volume and restore it to my CLONED boot volume?

I'll add a response here to your second post about booting from the
clone and then restoring a file from the Time Machine backup of the
original boot drive . . . I think that the clone and the original boot
drive are the same as far as Time Machine is concerned . . .Time
Machine bases it's uniqueness on the MAC address of the computer which
is the same for the clone. At worst . . . you would have to go into TM
preferences after booting the clone and reselect the destination . . .
but the contents of the backup are still there and the TM restore
function should find them nicely. One can also just dive into the TM
backup using Finder instead of the TM restore interface and find the
file you need to restore then bring it back with a drag and drop.