[X4U] SuperDupper question

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sun Mar 29 12:34:44 PDT 2009

On 3/29/09 8:47 AM, "Neil Laubenthal" <neil at laubenthal.net> wrote:

> What I'm thinking you intend to do is . . . have a setting file on
> your laptop (or your desktop) that syncs either automatically at time
> x or manually when you double click it . . this setting file syncs the
> user folders on the laptop and desktop. Then . . .separately . . . you
> want to have another settings file that clones the laptop (or maybe
> the desktop) to a second drive.

Here's how I work. At home, I primarily use my Mac Pro. Just before I leave
home, I quit from all the apps that save files into my ~/Documents folder,
then run the Synchronize! Pro X settings file that syncs my desktop to my
laptop.

Away from home, I use the laptop. When I return, I put the laptop back on my
LAN and run the synchronization again.

There are some problems with this. Most annoying is that I can't have MS
Office alert me to upcoming events, because the MS Office Database Daemon
file changes the file modification flag every time a notification occurs.
Also, I need to make certain I quit Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, because
(even though as far as I can see) none of them depend on the Database
Daemon, they all open it every time they're launched. I've been told
Microsoft has FINALLY realized the single monolithic file for all one's
personal information is NOT a cool idea and will drop that for the next
version of Office, but we'll see...

Sounds as though I'd just need to make sure I don't leave I don't leave my
"synchronization" Synchronize! Pro X settings file open to confuse a script
that tries to clone my boot drive automatically at 3 am.

Alternatively, I could pay the very reasonable licensing fee for SuperDuper!
and not worry about even that problem. (I do like the notion of placing my
clone on a "wiped" drive).

Jim Robertson