[X4U] SuperDupper question

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Sun Mar 29 12:54:56 PDT 2009

On Mar 29, 2009, at 3:34 PM, Jim Robertson wrote:

> Here's how I work. At home, I primarily use my Mac Pro. Just before
> I leave
> home, I quit from all the apps that save files into my ~/Documents
> folder,
> then run the Synchronize! Pro X settings file that syncs my desktop
> to my
> laptop.
>
> Away from home, I use the laptop. When I return, I put the laptop
> back on my
> LAN and run the synchronization again.

In that case a Synchronize Pro script that auto syncs and quits on
finish (on the Mac Pro) will get your documents synced fine.

> Sounds as though I'd just need to make sure I don't leave I don't
> leave my
> "synchronization" Synchronize! Pro X settings file open to confuse a
> script
> that tries to clone my boot drive automatically at 3 am.
>
> Alternatively, I could pay the very reasonable licensing fee for
> SuperDuper!
> and not worry about even that problem. (I do like the notion of
> placing my
> clone on a "wiped" drive).

Or use CarbonCopy Cloner or Disk Utility to do the cloning. I
personally don't see much need to wipe the clone drive for every clone
unless you only do the clone update every year . . . if it's done
every week or so an incremental works just as well.