[X4U] IP address on local network

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Fri May 8 14:57:26 PDT 2009

Am I correct in assuming that you have the Linksys router providing
DHCP services and the Airport only providing wireless?

If this is true . . . go into the Linksys with it's IP, username, and
password . . .and then set the IP address reservations in there.
You'll need the MAC addresses from each Mac (visible in Network in
System Preferences); although some brands of routers will allow you to
select a particular connection and turn it into a reservation without
entering the MAC manually.

Alternately . . . you could just assign a static IP, subnet mask,
gateway, and DNS entries to the iTunes server; and then just remove
that IP address from the DHCP pool on the Linksys.

Given this arrangement . . .you could also simplify things by using
the Airport instead of the Linksys entirely . . . unless the Linksys
is required for your VOIP connection.

You could also consider connecting to the iTunes server via Bonjour
networking . . . then it won't matter what IP the server has. You
could also set the DHCP lease for forever (or as close to forever as
you can choose) to keep the IP from getting changed.