[X4U] Bonjour too chatty?

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Feb 5 00:38:08 PST 2011

On Feb 3, 2011, at 2:48 PM, Joe Sporleder wrote:

> He also says that Bonjour is way too chatty and causes management
> and performance headaches, especially on larger networks like one
> might find at a college campus. Is his beef with Bonjour
> legitimate? He claims it is hard to turn off because it is so
> ambiguous with a lot of Apple's software (like iTunes), and
> printers that support  Bonjour networking.

If you really feel that you need to turn off Bonjour, you can do so
in the terminal with this command:

launchctl unload -w ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.afp548.mover.plist
Or you could set your firewall to block port 5353.

See:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20050707222434355

I've never heard anyone complain that Bonjour was too chatty.  A few
folks used to complain that AppleTalk was too chatty, but that was
hotly disputed:

http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,156561,156692

Randy B. Singer • Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://
www.macattorney.com/ts.html