[X4U] Time Machine for two Installations of Macosx

Cheryl Ann Homiak cahomiak at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 14:03:46 PDT 2011

I am running a Mac mini with an 80gb hard drive. I also have 2 1 TB usb
drives and a 250 GB firewisre drive. I have Snow Leopard installations on
all four drives (some of which were created by superduper) and I also have
Time Machine aon one of the drives co-existing with the bootable super
duper-created installation. I have three questions:

(1) If I start up time Macine to run when I am booted into one of the
installations, will Time Machine also run when I boot into one of my other
startup disks or are those preferences specific to the particular
installation from which I started time machine?

(2) Can I set up Time Machine to do its backup to different drives based
on which startup disk I'm using. What I want to do is have Time Machine
for my hard drive use the firewire drive for saving backups but have time
Machine save its backups to one of the usb drives when I am running the
installation on the other usb drive. Will the preferences for the two
startup disks be differentiated to the correct one of the backup drives or
am I going to have to unplug one backup drive to make sure Time Machine
saves to the other one?

(3) Is it worth using Time Machine for a large installation? When I backed
up an installation on one of the 1TB drives using SuperDuper, it took
several hours and of course the new installation was a fully-working one
and not compressed. A time Machine backup of the same drive would also
probably take quite a bit of time and I'm wondering if the compression
ratio is low enough to make keeping a Time Machine backup realistically
helpful or if the Time Machine backups for a large drive are going to fill
up the backup drive too quickly to make it worthwhile.
Thanks.

--
Cheryl

"Let the words of my mouth,