[X4U] MacMini - Pre-Lion on Lion h/w

David Ledger david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
Tue Jun 26 03:42:58 PDT 2012

At 20:07 -0700 25/6/12, Fabian Fang wrote:
>On Jun 25, 2012, at 7:42 PM, Al Jones wrote:
>
>>  My G4 MDD running Mac OS 10.5.8 is getting ready give up the ghost. I am
>>  considering a MacMini. A family member is an apple employee so I can get it
>>  for a decent price. I  DO NOT want to run any of the Lion iterations. Snow
>>  Leopard is perfectly acceptable to me for the foreseeable future. My
>>  question is When I get the mini, can Lion be erased, the HD reformated? and
>>  Snow Leopard be installed.
>

>The latest Mac mini models (mid-2011) all came pre-installed with OS
>10.7 (Lion):
><http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/index-macmini.html>
>
>No Macs can run any OS lower than the pre-installed version.  The
>Apple Online Store sometimes offer "refurbished" older models with
>lower pre-installed OS.
>
>Fabian

I know very little about the deep internals of the Mac being a Unix
and Networks guy, but I wonder if anyone has looked at this idea.

'Hackintosh' is a way to run OSX on generic PC hardware.
Boot Camp is a way to run Windows, Linux etc on Mac hardware. I
presume it provides the 'BIOSy' links so that an OS intended to use
PC hardware can link through to the equivalents on the Mac hardware.

Is it possible to install pre-Lion as a Hackintosh on a Mac using
Boot Camp? As this would be an Apple OS running directly on Apple
hardware this should not be illegal. There is no emulation.

Comments?

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk