[X4U] mail client app issues

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Mar 6 20:19:11 PST 2014

On Mar 4, 2014, at 1:17 PM, stephen e. schwartz wrote:

> oh, and handling of received attachments. Eudora puts attachments where I want them.

Mail.app is extensible, and there are lots of extensions to get it to do much of what previous Eudora users want.

For example, with regard to attachments, many Mail.app users love:

Attachment Tamer  ($15)
http://lokiware.info/Attachment-Tamer

Here are some lists of Mail.app extensions:

http://www.tikouka.net/mailapp/
http://www.macworld.com/product/collection/6866/mailaddons.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20130123031749/http://www.hawkwings.net/plugins.htm

> I would gladly pay for an app that did all that eudora 6.2 does that works on 10.8.  Hint to some developer out there. These features were all in Eudora in the mid nineties. In a free application.

There were already two different "successors" to Eudora and both seem to have died after years of trying to come up with something that approximated Eudora:

MailForge ($20) (formerly Odysseus)
http://www.macsimizesoftware.com/mailforge.htm
Dead?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.sys.mac.apps/Hkb1CWDskbI/4x13LGmQnHIJ

Eudora OSE (formerly Penelope) (FREE)
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_OSE

I think that what you will see in the future is more lightweight e-mail programs, not more full-featured ones.  See:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2099441/top-choice-our-favorite-mac-mail-clients.html

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html