[P1] Partitioning disk and installing two versions of an OS

david davidwb at spymac.com
Thu Dec 12 04:14:16 PST 2002

On 12/11/02 1:39 PM, "Richard McKay" <richard.mckay1 at virgin.net> wrote:

> It has been written:
>
>>> It seems that the iceBook (which is what I have) only takes 9.2.1 or
>>> more.
>
> I am breathless. This is insanity...I don't want to go through the hassle of
> reinstalling to confirm this myself but if its true and if I had known I
> might have gone for a 500 model instead of the 700 I bought to have the
> compatibility (even though I don't need it) and saved some money to boot!
> (pun intended) but then again there's the 10.2 issue...

Huh? Apple frequently releases new hardware that is incompatible with older
versions of the OS. That is because the newer version of the OS has enabling
code to use new hardware. In the bad old days Apple did this with "enabler"
extensions which made the life of we tech support people utter chaos. This
can sometimes be a little frustrating (for example when we try to boot a new
computer with our favorite disk utility and find out that it needs to be
updated for the new computer) but it is no big deal. There's no reason to
make a big issue of it.

> First you can't run powerpc stuff on a normal mac...I still have an LC475
> sitting around doing nothing...no ethernet card or PPC Chip... otherwise I
> could use it as a server,

Well doh! About 10 years ago Motorola released the PowerPC chip. But that
doesn't mean that old hardware isn't useful. I have a Quadra running as an
email/list server in one client's office and an SE/30 running as an email
server in my wife's office. The older computers don't run the newest
software but that doesn't mean they can't run older software just fine.

> then 10.2 madness with Quartz Extreme unless 16
> meg video ram (ergo same fate for my iMac) and now no backward compatibility
> for my new iBook...

I don't know where you people get your ideas! The big deal about Quartz
extreme is that IF your computer has the right video card and enough video
memory THEN QE will offload some of the video processing tasks from the CPU
to the videocard. IF not then the CPU continues to run those tasks. This is
no big deal.

> I'm starting to think maybe Apple should port X to
> intel...there doesn't seem to be the level of hard and software
> compatibility from the same manufacturer there should be to offset the
> disadvantages...

Sigh...you have clearly shown that you don't have enough knowledge to have a
valid opinion on the matter.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com