[P1] new ibooks... any better re warping & screen marks??

david davidwb at spymac.com
Sat Jul 5 07:04:29 PDT 2003

On Saturday, July 5, 2003, at 08:09  AM, Jo wrote:

> I'm almost ready to buy a new iBook. Are there any models--the newest
> ones, perhaps??--that don't have the problems mentioned with warping
> and/or screen marks?
> Thanks.

Warping - it really is a non-issue. Out of the tens of thousands of
iBooks manufactured a few will have defects. That is a fact of life.
Remember, these lists and online forums are where people talk about
their problems. We don't write to say - "Hey, I got my iBook today and
it is perfect!!" Well, most of us don't. <grin> Okay - "my iBook is 15
months old and still chugging along without a single flaw. Just like
the Tangerine iBook before it."

As for the screen marks...this really is an issue - of sorts. Thin
notebooks are important for marketing. Thin means good - thick means
bad. The clearance between the LCD and keyboard is minimal. When we got
the new iBook lab at work I kept watch and noticed the markings within
a few weeks. Cleaning the screens got rid of them - it was just oil -
no actual impression into the screen that I could see. So we just put
some chamois cloths on the cart and asked teachers to see that the
keyboards got cleaned off when they were finished. I clean my keyboard
every week and haven't seen any marks on my screen since - but I did at
first.

Pick the model you want, be sure to add more memory, and go for it.

Good qualities are easier to destroy than bad ones, and therefore
uniformity is most easily achieved by lowering all standards.
  ~~ Bertrand Russell

David