[P1] iPhoto Help

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Thu Jul 10 10:08:42 PDT 2003

Brian Olesky on 7/9/03 10:50 PM wrote:

> I didn't know this was true. So based on what you're saying, it's actually a
> waste of time to clean out the library to save space on your hard drive?

The library is where all the original 'RAW' images are stored. I like to
have my library display by 'Roll' number. If you modify an image in the
library (crop, rotate, adjust etc.) it is permanent.

The nice thing about an Album is you can modify images without altering the
original image. The image in the album is duplicated and all modifications
are applied to the duplicate. So if you were to drop the original image into
3 different albums, crop it in one, reduce it in another and rotate it in
the third, the original would still remain unaltered.

This is especially nice if you wanted to select several images from
different 'rolls' to create a slide show, share via email, make a .mac
webpage, etc. Just create an album for that particular task and make
whatever adjustments you like to the images. Again the original image
remains unchanged.

-Mark