[P1] Does the Clock Sleep?

Steve sw at carolina.rr.com
Thu Jul 10 10:19:05 PDT 2003

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 01:09 AM, Tom R. no spam wrote:
> And can an iBook--or OSX in general?--really do things while
> *sleeping*?  Cf unix cron jobs run while the computer is on and
> running,

  Well...it can do SOMETHING....but I don't about anything too useful...

  It can wake itself up.... it can wake up for network activity....not
sure if it will wake for incoming phone calls.

  But it can even turn itself on!  Earlier OS's could do this and it has
been touted at something coming in Panther. There are even apps that
will add this to Jaguar.

  It was once explained to me that even the power switch was software
controlled on Macs, so there is some sort of functioning going on even
at the lowest levels.

  The question is how much, and can it be accessed?

Steve