I have to find out what it is.

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Wed Nov 5 22:40:26 PST 2003

> My goodness Mac vets, there has to be something about this machine to
> make =
> you act this way ;). I have to find out what it is.

Back in July 1999, a noted computer columnist, Walter Mossberg had that
same problem. He had been at the MacWorld Expo in NYC when the first
iMac was introduced. After he left the Expo, he wrote a column about
his experiences and his puzzlement. He said that he was fascinated by
the Mac user's attachment to Macs and wanted to understand what powered
it. So he stood behind the row of iMacs and watched the user reactions
to the computers. He saw each person approach the computer, smile when
they got close, reach out to gently touch it, smile wider and get a
soft glow on their faces, Then they touched the mouse and started using
the computer. At that point, he saw their entire face erupt into what
he called a vision of pure joy. He still couldn't figure out what
generated this response and was even more puzzled.

He waited until the computer bank was almost deserted and tried it
himself but still not answers. All the way home, it haunted him. Why
couldn't he figure it out? Was there a magic incantation or something
that happened to users? When he got home and sat down at his PC to
write this puzzling column about this mysterious response, he finally
had a revelation. He said out of a clear blue sky, he suddenly
understood what was happening to Mac people: they had a relationship
with their computer. It was not a piece of machinery or a tool, it was
a trusted and beloved friend. He said as he realized this, he also
realized that PC people never had this type of relationship with their
computers. He also realized that he never would get that kind of
feeling or have that relationship with his computer and he felt a tear
or two run down his cheek as he realized how sad that made him feel.

Since then, he has test many new Mac products and adores the
"sunflower" iMac and ipods.

When you made your comments about Macs, it was the same thing as if you
had called our significant others, inferior or defective. It's the old
adage, I can talk about my family, my boyfriend, my husband, but don't
you dare criticize that person in my presence. You "attacked" our
friend, whether you intended to or not, and you got immediate backlash
from it. You came to our party and criticized our guest of honor, how
did you expect us to react?

Had you said instead, this is my first mac and with my pc, I am used to
doing............, how can I do it with a Mac? You would have had all
the help and suggestions you could have ever wanted. But when you said,
your mac doesn't do the things my pc does so well or better, well, as
you found out, those are fighting words, you are dissing our friend at
our party and you became an immediate gate crasher and ungrateful guest.

Now do you begin to understand? We are not particularly interested in
how many people buy and use Macs, we are more interested in how many
people love and enjoy their Macs, warts and all. Just like an eccentric
relative, some Macs are more lovable than others, some are a bit
quirkier but eccentric relatives just as valued and loved as "normal"
relatives. Sometimes, the eccentricity  of a person makes them even
more endearing, Well, sometimes the Mac eccentricities make us more
protective of that Mac also. Macs have personalities. Sometimes they
fit us like a glove, sometimes, they irritate us beyond endurance but
they still enable us to feel powerful and empowered because they will
always let us be more than we are without them.

Some of us use Macs to keep in touch with a community if we are
housebound. Some of us use Macs to earn the income we need to survive
or thrive. Some of us use Macs to perform tasks we could not do without
a Mac. I am not a good artist but I yearn to be. With a Mac, some
simple software, some time and inspiration, I have created some really
good pieces of art. I have become a bit more of who I want to be
because of my Mac.

I suggest you pick something you want to do that is just a bit more
than you and ask your Mac to help you get there. It will be a great
journey for both of you.

Mac Computer Show and Sale December 13th
Info at www.wap.org