[P1] [OT] Hurricane Tracking

Fred Stevens K2FRD K2FRD at stny.rr.com
Wed Sep 10 08:56:53 PDT 2003

At 10:41 AM -0500 9/10/03, Charles Pearce wrote:
>On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 09:45  AM, don hinkle wrote:
>
>>I was in Wichita, KS, once, years ago, when a hurricane came right
>>through the city. I didn't know any better and went walking outside
>>to see what it was like. Fortunately, it was the calm "eye"
>
>I did say "rarely" and not never. There's a lot of Texas and
>Oklahoma between us and hurricanes, so they generally burn out
>before they get to us. With our current drought, I've been kind of
>hoping that one would come up around Houston, become a bunch of rain
>and head north, but alas...

Not to add fuel to a fire, but I've been hoping for a couple
back-to-back 10-inch hurricanes here in upstate NY. I'm in the field
of emergency communications services (planning/preparation stuff) and
I projected that two such hurricanes would be a 500-year flood and
put a number of communities within the historic flood plain
underwater. The only way to really convince them that they need to
plan for this contingency is to have a 500-year Flood; otherwise,
they operate "business as usual" and ignore the planners. Following
this thought (and to air a major gripe), they also blame us when what
we predicted was going to happen actually happened.
--
73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
http://home.stny.rr.com/k2frd/K2FRD.htm