[P1] Mail question

Zoki zoki.news at linuxix.net
Mon Feb 9 23:48:45 PST 2004

Le 05/02/2004 23:11, « Jonathan Fletcher » <jfletch at aye.net> a écrit :

> One of my ISPs has the SLOWEST email servers. Three other accounts at
> other providers have no problem, but this one keeps coming back and
> asking for my ISP password, time after time. Occasionally it will
> actually retrieve mail, but usually I have to give up and cancel it
> until later. It seems like Mail is timing out and, getting confused,
> asks for my password again, and again...
>
> There are settings in other mail clients to set the timeout. Does
> anyone know how to do that with Mail in Panther?

*** To find out if the problem is ycour connexion, your ISP... or just
radiation affecting electronic equipment due to inter-gallactic activity...
try the following:

1/
open terminal

2/
type

    telent my.isp.com 110

server will respond with +OK

3/
type

    USER your_user_name

server will respond with +OK

4/ type

    PASS your_password

server will respond with +OK

5/ type

    LIST

server will respond with the amount of messages waiting for you.

If the server responds with -ERR 999 at any of your commands you made a
mistake or it didn't understand what you want. If it takes too long before
you get a result to any of the commands, it can be the servers are indeed
very slow or your connection is bad...

More instructions at
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/pop3telnet.htm.

BTW, you're not saying what the ISP told you when you complained: You did
call them before writing to the list, right!?

--
Cheers,
Zoran.

If C lets you shoot yourself in the foot, C++ lets you blow your whole leg
off.
  -- Bjarne Stroustrup