[P1] Location Manager for OS X

Jonathan Fletcher jfletch at aye.net
Mon Feb 23 19:06:12 PST 2004

On Feb 23, 2004, at 3:01 AM, Jack Rodgers <jackrodgers at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2004, at 8:23 PM, david wrote:
>
>> The proxy server is changed, my default
>> printer is changed, my IP address is switched, the proper default
>> email
>> address is set, and the sound level is changed.
>
> The IP address is something I forgot to mention. OS 9's Chooser
> automatically lists Macs sharing on the network and the hosted files of
> Filemaker Server (5.0) but OS X does not. To link with a shared OS 9
> Mac on a client's network from an X systems I had to type in the IP
> number. To open the Filemaker 5 Server on an OS 9 computer I also had
> to type in the IP number from an X Mac whereas using OS X, the hosted
> files were shown automatically.
>
> Location manager should simplify this task for me.

Jack,

Do you have AppleTalk turned on in the Services pane of Directory
Access? Sorry, if this is an insult to your intelligence, but that is
what it sounds like you are experiencing.

/Applications/Utilities/Directory Access

Panther does not have it on by default. You have to turn it on or you
will not see OS 9 Sharers from 10.3.

Again, apologies if I am telling you something you already know and did.

I thought that FMP files should not be shared, but only hosted (TCP-IP
or whatever your network runs) to work properly. You are an FMP guy. I
can't help but think I am misunderstanding your words, but I have
reread them several times. Surely you did not mean to say that?

Either that or I am about to learn something new. That would be even
better!

j.

--
Jonathan Fletcher