[P1] OT Playing AVI files

Ruffin Bailey rufbo1 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 2 17:53:15 PDT 2004

> I've been using DivX to play AVI files (it converts them to a format that
> can be opened in QuickTime. Its free and available for OS9 and OSX at the
> DivX website.

Even then my 500 MHz hasn't had the power to show avi's at full-screen resolution at times, especially with a bit of action on the screen.  So even after you install the codec (and then you'll watch the avi through Quicktime), prepare for less-than-optimum performance on your machine, I'm afraid.  Got all excited I could use my iBook's video-out cable to watch some shows on TV fullscreen, but in the end due to processor issues it's probably a better experience watching on my 1 GHz G4 iMac's LCD.

Ruffin Bailey