[P1] The eternal dilemna question...stop, ou...encore!

Christian Dupuis d1user at mac.com
Mon Jul 12 04:30:39 PDT 2004

On Jul 11, 2004, at 11:14 PM, Paul Savard wrote:

> Soooo...This is why I think I will stick again with the iBook...
>
> P.S.:Got to be reasonable,hey ?
> But I am not a monk or a saint!!
> Got to please me a little too either...
>
> -Can't refrain to add a 512 meg of ram (experience talking) 768 total!
> -I want the 60 Gigs HD, not the 30 ! (always short on space)
> -I want the Airport card (Hy graphite has it, I love this ad-on)
> -And...I want my candy! I will take an iPod also!

What do you sacrifice by taking the iBook instead of the Powerbook:

Internal bluetooth capability (which, unless you happen to own a
compatible Bluetooth cell phone or any other Bluetooth peripherals
won't, quite frankly, make the least bit of difference in your life).

External video display capability with higher resolution than 1024 x
768 (you can only do display mirroring with the iBook; for the record,
I've connected my Powerbook 12 inch to an external 17 inch monitor
maybe twice since I bought it.... It's always on my lap, and I don't
log monitors on the balcony or the living room).

Weight (it's a tad heavier than the Aluminum 12 inch).

What do you gain by taking the iBook instead of the Powerbook:

Better Airport performance (despite having improved the antenna
location in the new aluminum Powerbooks, the polycarbonate iBooks still
perform better with Airport - the plastic shell does not reduce
transmission performance, and I've tested a few friends' iBooks where I
got a much longer range - and stronger signal - than the Titanium 15
inch or the 12, 15 and 17 inch Aluminum models).

Much more robust case (you don't have to worry about shocks to the case
and aluminum bending out of shape; those polycarb cases are nearly
indestructible).

Money: you save enough to buy the RAM upgrade and the iPod, and still
have pennies left over for coffee.

If I had to do it again? For my needs, I'd get the 12 inch G4 iBook.

There are other differences; the Powerbook has a slightly faster bus
and better video performance but, honestly, whoever needs that edge
would have probably bought a 15 inch or a 17 inch Powerbook.

Hope this helps.

Chris