[P1] ibook vs. powerbook

Andrew andrew at envisionstudio.net
Tue Jun 8 17:05:31 PDT 2004

I thought the iBook and Powerbook used the same battery. With that said you
should get better battery life on the 7447A:

"The new Motorola part is dubbed the 7447A and adds on-the-fly clock
frequency adjustment, allowing system makers to run at reduced frequencies
according to workload. The upshot is longer battery life. And there's now a
temperature-sensing diode included to monitor die temperature, Motorola
says.

Essentially, the 7447A is a revised 7447, itself a low-power version of the
7457. The 130nm 7447 is currently used by Apple in its PowerBook G4. The
iBook is based on the older 7455. The 7447 is a trimmed down version of the
7457, losing the latter's support for external L3 cache. The 7457 and both
versions of the 7447 contain 512KB of on-die L2 cache. All three are fabbed
using silicon on insulator technology."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/02/23/motorola_chip_launch_paves_way/

References to the iBook are the older versions which had a 256k cache
CPU.....