[P1] Prolonging Battery Life

RP McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Mon Jun 21 15:56:35 PDT 2004

On 21/6/04 11:26 pm, "Bob Gir." <bobgir at earthlink.net> wrote (in part):

>     Is leaving an iBook plugged in all the time the best strategy for
> battery longevity???
>
>     I.e., by longevity I mean to lengthen the time between battery purchases
> and to lengthen the time you are able to run on battery power when necessary
> to do so.
>
>      90% of the time I can use my iBook plugged in, so, should I do so?

Yes as long as you take the battery out when not charging it or when you are
able to just run on mains power, but remember to only have about 40 - 50
percent charge in the battery before taking it out and 'storing' it between
battery usage, this keep enough power in it to not cause physical problems
for the batteries abilities (less than 40 percent is a problem for periods
over a month or so storage without charging) (more than 50 percent is going
to accelerate the aging process internally from chemical exchanges) and also
keeps the battery from aging quickly as the level of charge and 'corrosion'
will be minimal (compared with fully loaded).

Do *not* keep the battery installed with the laptop plugged in continuously
as this will decrease life span significantly (actually this is probably the
quickest way to decrease the life span). It will start a very short cycle of
charging and discharging and eventually you will only have 10-15 min life on
the battery.

I went through two batteries very quickly with an iBook because of this and
since getting an Albook I religiously take the battery out if not charging
it or running from it exclusively...

I personally alter between both worlds and try to use the laptop for a week
with mains power and then a week with battery only (unless charging) if I am
at home and not being a road warrior...

After all it is a portable...

Cheers,

Richard