[iBook] Loose Eth port?

Michelle Klein-Hass bosslady at msgeek.com
Wed Jun 29 20:06:38 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 07:27 pm, Robin Mayhall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a G3 iBook - the 900 MHz white one with 12" display -- and
>      lately I've had trouble maintaining my DSL connection via an ethernet
>      cable from laptop to DSL modem. It seems like the end of the cable,
>      the connector part that actually plugs into the ethernet port, is
>      "loose" or easily moved out of place. As long as I have it situated
>      just right, I am fine, but if I move too much, or one of my cats
>      walks over my lap, the cable twitches out of place and I temporarily
>      lose my connection. Then I have to fiddle with it/jiggle it to make
>      it come back. (This can be particularly frustrating when I am gaming!)
>
>      I tried just unplugging the cable and switching ends -- plugging into
>      the laptop the end that *was* plugged into the DSL modem. That didn't
>      help. So I don't think buying a new cable is going to help, unless
>      *both* plug-ends are messed up/worn out.

This seems to be a common problem with iBooks... my beautiful vintage
blueberry does this too. I'd be interested if this is a "feature" or an
actual problem that can be repaired.

It seems to me that there is a lot of "play" in the jack, and I just have to
push it back in when it pops out.

--
Michelle Klein-Hass
Box 2273, Van Nuys, CA 91404-2273