[iBook] new iBook 12" - upgrade hard drive to 60gig?

Laura Bruce labruce at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 05:11:26 PST 2005

Hello there. Five days ago I bought a new 12" 1.2 Ghz iBook w/30GB HD
from the Apple store in London.( This is a replacement for my beloved
iMac G3 graphite which was stolen from my home.)

At the time of purchase, I upgraded the RAM to 512. I am now wondering
if I should have *also* doubled the size of the hard drive. Had I done
it at the time, it would have cost £40 (around 75 $US).

When it was stolen, my iMac was running OS X 10.3 and had nearly 10 GB
of music in iTunes. As it stands, the new iBook with just the system
software installed and not much else has taken up around 18 GB of
space. So, in theory, just re-adding the music from my collection will
bring it up to 28 GB.

There is a "buyer's remorse" clause on the Apples here, wherein one
has 10 days to do a no-hassle return/refund. So, I could return it,
and either upgrade it or order a new one with the larger harddrive.
But I need to decide soon. The other option is to upgrade the
harddrive *down the road*, i.e., when I am actually getting close to
the max on the 30 GB. (I am waiting on a quote for the 60GB hard drive
from a local installer.)

What would you suggest -- now or later?

Any help much appreciated. Computer has been brilliant so far.
Fortunately, the thieves didn't steal my wireless modem. :)

Best,
Laura