[iBook] What do I need to connect iBook to 23" monitor?

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Thu May 19 16:45:03 PDT 2005

No - not easily.

The cinema displays use a DVI connector (digital) whereas the ibook
only has VGA (analog). You can buy a convertor, but it's a couple of
hundred dollars, and prob isn't worth it.

Even if you did by a convertor, you would be under-utilizing the
screen. It can do 1920 x 1200, and the video card in the ibook isn't
really capable of this comfortably...

Perhaps consider buying an imac instead.. or a different LCD screen
(i.e. non-Apple - *ducks* ;-) that supports VGA - these are becoming
scarce now. If you do this, make sure it supports DVI as well, so
that when you eventually upgrade, you can still use it.

Installing Screen spanning doctor on your ibook will not resolve
these issues. It'll let you run the ibook in clamshell mode (i.e.
shut), but it won't improve video performance..

HTH,
-Gus