[iTunes] importing ratings into new library

johnsandiego at mac.com johnsandiego at mac.com
Wed Mar 5 18:13:49 PST 2003

It's really quite easy. Assuming you have the same mp3 files on the new
machine.

1. In your "Music" folder, open the "iTunes" folder
2. You will see two files "iTunes 3 Music Library" and "itunes Music
Library.xml"
3. If both machines are on a network, just move these two files to the
corresponding folder in the new machine and they will be copied i the
new location, star ratings, play counts and all the other fields. (I'm
not sure if you have to copy the .xml file or not but it won't hurt).
4. If your machines are not networked, you need to make copies of the
two files and move them via some removable media to the new machine.

I routinely move music libraries back and forth between my five (yeah,
I'm a bona fide geek) Macs and they work quite well (My music is on a
shared hard drive so all machines can access.

Hope tis helps,  John