[iTunes] Re: iTunes multitasking-response to Kunga

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Mon May 26 10:49:11 PDT 2003

There is a definite reason to edit tags on the CD prior to ripping.
That need is realized the next time you put that CD into your Mac. When
you edit in advance of ripping, your iTunes data base remembers all
those edits so that when you put the CD back into the Mac all those
edits come back with the CD. If you edit only the MP3 tags, none of
that work will be remembered when you put the CD back in. Plus you can
submit those edited CD track names back tot he CDDB so the next person
doesn't have to go through all the editing you did.

Playing while ripping does slow down the ripping speed. The reading
speed of your CD Player effects the ripping speed too. On my G4 500
Cube with a 52x FW reader I get 8x rips all the time.

Dual processors DO NOT help increase ripping speed. iTunes rips faster
with one fast processor than it does with two slower ones that add up
to more than the speed of the single one. I found that out the hard
way. Bought a dual 867 thinking I was going to get rips more than 3
times the 8x I get on the G4 500 Cube. Get no more than 13.5x even with
the same 52x reader. Both processors are working (can tell via Cee Pee
You). But they only total the work of one processor and the system
overhead makes even that not as fast as it would do with one 867
processor.

So for ripping AAC of MP3 files, it's all about a fast single processor
with a fast reader so far.