[iTunes] Help with an iTunes problem

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Tue Apr 20 11:53:53 PDT 2004

On 4/20/04 8:52 PM, "Joseph W. Chance" <jchance at midsouth.rr.com> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to fix this one.  I keep my iTunes library on an
> external drive.  While importing some CD covers, it (Panther) crashed.
> When I re-booted, my iTunes Music Library file is no longer valid.  I
> tried making a new alias and moving it to the User/Music folder, but it
> still says that it is not valid.  Along the way, something happened to
> the music library folder on the external drive.  Any suggestions how to
> return the playlists to their proper working order.  The music is still
> there, just the library file does not work.  Thanks.

Do you have a backup of the two iTunes library files? If so, replace them.
If not, then the situation is not as good... You can try importing your
library (File > Import) but you'll lose all your playlists and some other
info if you can't get the library files back.

Best,

Kirk

        My latest book: How to Do Everything with Mac OS X Panther
                  http://www.mcelhearn.com/htde.html
 . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
 . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .