Where is the Music?

ecirwin at mac.com ecirwin at mac.com
Mon Feb 16 19:02:58 PST 2004

Terry,

Once you have pointed iTunes to a directory (on your external drive),
run the Advanced/Consolidate Library command.  This will copy all music
that may be scattered about on several hard drives into the new folder
on your external.  Once that process is complete, you can delete all
music files that are not in the new music folder on your external
drive.  This assumes that all music files on your computer's drives are
in the iTunes library.

This process will keep all your playlist info intact and keep from
getting duplicates in the iTunes library or having missing files.  The
bad news is that it copies all the files to the new location, instead
of moving them.  I guess there are good things and bad things about
this, but it usually means the extra step of deleting the extra music
files.  I do like to do a random check on the files that got copied to
make sure that something major did not happen.  I don't check every
one, just a few to make sure they work.  Then I start deleting the old
files in the Finder.

iTunes can read files from several locations without any difficulty.
Setting the location of the Library to some particular folder really
only makes the software place newly ripped files there.  You can have
iTunes organize the files there as well.  I recommend you do that
because it can come in handy at times to have files sorted by artist
with album folders under each.  There really isn't anything special
about the Library folder you choose, it can be any folder you want.  By
default, iTunes does make one under your user folder somewhere.  If you
have the external drive disconnected and rip songs, they will be placed
in that default folder.

I hope this helps explain a little about iTunes file organization.  If
you have more specific questions, please ask.

Eric