[iTunes] Re: moving playlists

David Wilson wilson at brandeis.edu
Thu Jan 8 19:46:15 PST 2004

I'm worried about screwing something up along the way, going back and
forth- I've got
hundreds of files I need to keep organized in particular
playlists, both on the external, and on the internal drive, and if I
lose them, it would be close to imposible to get them
back.

How does the iPod interface with iTunes? If you plug an iPod into the
computer, does
it display the iPod playlists along with the computer's playlists? Can
they be changed
within iTunes, and the iPod? Having no effect on the internal drive's
library and playlists?

On Jan 8, 2004, at 10:25 PM, Michael Vicente wrote:

> Try this.
>
> From the internal drive, move your iTunes Music Library file and the
> iTunes Music Library.xml file to the Desktop. Make an alias of those
> files from your library on the external hard drive to the internal
> drive. When you open iTunes, you should see the external drive. When
> you want the internal preferences, swap the files again.
>
> If you're proficient with Applescript, I'm sure you could write a
> script to do it automatically.
>
> Mike
>
> On Jan 8, 2004, at 7:44 PM, David Wilson wrote:
>>

>> I looked on the archive and can't find the answer to this.
>>
>> I have 2 computers, and 1 external hard drive. Each computer has it's
>> own itunes library
>> and playlists of music that resides on it's internal hard drive. The
>> external drive,
>> I use to put other music on and arrange in particular playlists. I
>> need
>> to be able
>> to move the external drive between the two computers, and maintain the
>> playlists
>> that are associated to the music on the external hard drive, without
>> messing up
>> the playlists on the internal drive of each computer as the external
>> gets moved back and
>> forth-
>>
>> How do I do this?

> <iTunes-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <iTunes-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>

> http://macinternetaccess.com
>    Keyspan   | New Digital Media Remote, great for MP3 players and CD
> players.
> Dr. Bott  | Now $49.00  <http://www.drbott.com/prod/keyspan.html>

David Wilson
Artist in Residence in Lighting and Sound
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA